Solid Waste Division
Chris White, Solid Waste Coordinator
The responsibilities of the Solid Waste Division include oversight of the waste and recycling contracts, waste reduction initiatives, and management of the Beaver Street Recycling Center.
The Automated Cart System continues to drive cost effective enhancements such as:
- Continue to lower annual cost to residents while incurring $50,000 of inflation costs each year
- Ease of auditing and accounting
- Increase of business recycling via carts
- Introduction of recycling at fields, Common, Dog Park and other municipal areas
- Manage trash more effectively at common areas including fields
- Increase usage of Recycling Center
- Optimal efficiency of resources and costs
With a one year success achieved, moving forward will include additional recycling awareness, business recycling programs utilizing the cart system and continued expansion of the school programs and Beaver Street Recycling Facility.
The Beaver Street Recycling facility continues to see increased usage and enhancements including:
- Mattresses, box springs and carpet recycling
- Elimination of cash and use of check, credit and debit cards
- Cardboard compactor
- Styrofoam recycling
- Dedicated computer and printer recycling
- Printer toner and ink cartridges
- Rigid plastic recycling
- Standardized policies and procedures
Over 50 tons of rigid plastic is recycled at the center, all of which previously went in the trash stream. The 40 foot Styrofoam container filled is recycled at least once a month. The Recycling Center will continue to be a focus for additional recycling initiatives and improvements.
Fiscal year 2012 Curbside collection of trash, recycling and yard waste was provided by Waste Management.
Solid Waste Coordinator
The first section of the DPW Annual Report can be found here (Administration)
The second section (Engineering)
The third section (Water and Sewer)
The fourth section (Highway and Grounds)
Additional information on the DPW activities can be found on their webpagehttp://franklinma.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/FranklinMA_DPW/index
Published by the Town Clerk, this comes from the 2012 Annual Report