What do Franklin parents think about the current school day and recess allocation?
According to the Milford Daily News (MDN) article below, Hopkinton and Medway parents are attempting to get the time for recess increased. This is a complicated issue as it may involve lengthening the school day and changing current contractual arrangements not just with teachers but also bus schedules.
Three parents appeared to discuss the 'hot' dress code issue on Franklin on Saturday. Granted a number of other conversations were already conducted in a number of forums and meetings but three came to this one open forum.
- Have you provided input to the Franklin Superintendent search survey?
The survey starts out by seeking your input on several aspects of the Franklin School District. For each of these points you are asked to rate according to a five point scale with
1 = Strongly Disagree
2 = Disagree
3 = Neither Agree or Disagree
4 = Agree
5 = Strongly Agree
The superintendent search survey questions:
- The district provides a clear, compelling vision for the future.
- The district is heading in the right direction.
- The district has high standards for student performance.
- The district makes decisions based on information from data and research.
- The district is working to close the achievement gap.
- The district provides a well-rounded educational experience for all students.
- Teachers personalize instructional strategies to address individual learning needs, special education and gifted.
- District schools are safe.
- The social and emotional needs of students are being addressed.
- Students are on track to be college and career ready.
- Technology is integrated into the classroom.
- The district engages the community as a partner to improve the school system.
- There is transparent communication from the District.
- The district engages with diverse racial, cultural and socio-economic groups.
- Facilities are well maintained.
- The district is fiscally responsible.
- The district employs effective teachers, administrators and support staff in its schools.
- Employees are held accountable to high standards.
- District technology infrastructure is sufficient to support 21st century learning.
From your responses to these questions, the survey ask you yo prioritize your selection. The summary of these results along with all the other information gathered by the HYA search team in interviews, meetings and forums will be used to produce the "Leadership profile". The leadership profile will be reviewed with the School Committee later in November.
The leadership profile survey can be found here http://ecrasurvey.com/franklin
Recess article from MDN
"After moving to Hopkinton a few years ago, Sonya Fairbanks Harris was a bit shocked.
Upon enrolling her two sons in Hopkinton Public Schools, she learned that her children - accustomed to 45 minutes of play time each school day in their old school in California - were now receiving 15 minutes of recess.
“At 4:00, I can’t rewind a child from multiple tantrums because they’ve been holding it together” all day, she said.
Her concern for overburdening children with schoolwork was not alone though, as parents in MetroWest and the Milford area have joined together to demand longer recess periods for students."http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/20161029/despite-complications-parents-push-for-more-recess-in-schools
Overall timeline for the superintendent search process
School Committee meeting summary with search firm decision