From Hockomock Sports, we share the results of the spring sports action on Thursday, April 20.
Baseball = Franklin, 6 @ Mansfield, 2 – Final
– Franklin’s offense picked right where it left off from Wednesday’s walk-off win over Walpole. The Panthers pounced for three runs in both the first and second innings to take a 6-0 lead. Mansfield tacked on single runs in the fifth and seventh innings. Franklin junior Jason Ulrickson was impressive on the mound, giving up just one earned run on seven hits and just one walk in a complete game effort. Ulrickson also struck out five and had two RBI and a run scored on the offensive end. Jake Lyons (two runs) and Tyler Gomes (RBI) each went 2-for-4 for Franklin while Ryan Hodgkins (1-for-2) had an RBI and two runs, Bryan Woelfel had a two RBI single and Cam Lupien was 2-for-3 with a run scored. Mansfield’s Matt Farragher had an RBI single for the Hornets.
Softball = Mansfield, 5 @ Franklin, 4 – Final (9 inn.)
– Mady Bendanillo scored the game-winning run for Mansfield in the top of the ninth inning on a sacrifice fly by Mackenzie Burke. Bendanillo slid in just ahead of the tag to give the Hornets the lead. Franklin put two runners on in the bottom of the ninth, but Sarah Cahill got the final two outs to earn the complete game win. Mansfield took a two-run lead in the top of the seventh. Megan Letendre reached on an error and Bendanillo was hit by a pitch, followed by back-to-back RBI singles by Marissa Staffer and Kerran Holmes. Franklin rallied with two in the bottom of the seventh to force extra innings.
Boys Lacrosse = Franklin, 10 vs. Walpole, 11 – Final (OT)
- Franklin rallied from a 8-5 deficit at halftime to take a 9-8 lead in the second half. After Franklin was whistled for an interference call, the Rebels tied the game with 1:27 to go. Walpole netted the game-winner with 38 seconds left in overtime. Eric Civetti had four goals and four assist, Chase Tanner had four goals and Kyle McEniry had one goal and one assist. Connor O’Rourke made 17 saves in net for the Panthers while sophomore Jacob Alexander won 18 face offs.
Boys Tennis = Mansfield, 2 @ Franklin, 3 – Final
– Franklin relied on its depth to pick up a win over Mansfield in a Kelley-Rex showdown. While Mansfield won at first and second singles, the Panthers claimed wins at third singles and both doubles matches. Freshman Rohan Herur won 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-2 at third singles, James Johnstone and Derek Wu won 6-2, 6-3 at first doubles and Tyler DiPalma and Rahul Hosdurg clinched the match with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 win at second doubles. Mansfield’s Benny Lin won 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 at first singles and Luke Nickerson won 6-3, 6-4 at second singles.
Girls Tennis = Franklin, 2 @ Mansfield, 3 – Final
– Mansfield picked up a big division win against the visiting Panthers of Franklin, winning at second and third singles as well as first doubles. Junior Sarah Doyle won 6-3, 1-0 at second singles and sophomore Elizabeth Elsner won 6-1, 6-4 at third singles. The team of senior Chloe Peters and sophomore Tessa Garufi earned the third win for the Hornets, winning 6-2, 6-0 at first doubles. Franklin’s Hannah Sweeney won 6-0, 6-2 at first singles and the team of Jillian McCaugh and Hailey Stier won 0-6, 6-4, 6-1 at second doubles.
For the results around the Hockomock League on Thursday