The pond will be closed for fishing, canoeing etc. for 24 hours, but the rest of the area for hiking etc. will be open.
This was shared from the Town of Franklin page
During 2017 and 2018, herbicide treatments will be applied to the DelCarte Ponds as part of the restoration and preservation of this important recreation area. The treatments are designed to eliminate the invasive plant species which are proliferating rapidly and threaten to completely “take over” the waterbodies unless action is taken to stop their spread.
The time frame for this work is as follows:
- Prepare and File MA DEP License to Apply Chemicals Permit - APRIL
- Pre-Treatment Survey – MAY
- Variable Milfoil Treatment – EARLY JUNE
- Initial Water Chestnut Treatment – EARLY JUNE
- Interim Survey – LATE JUNE
- Follow-Up Water Chestnut Treatment – EARLY JULY
- Final Post-Treatment Survey – AUGUST/SEPTEMBER
- Year-End Report – NOVEMBER/DECEMBER
Signs will be posted at the ponds concerning this work it is important to bear in mind that ON THE DAY OF THE TREATMENTS, USE OF THE PONDS WILL BE RESTRICTED.
Any questions on this project should be directed to the Conservation office at 508-520-4929.
|invasive species in the water at DelCarte|
The ecological study performed to show the need for these herbicide treatments can be found here
The reminder on the treatments was shared from the Town of Franklin page