Note: FY 2021 is last year (July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021). The report was prepared to cover the business for the FY 2021 period. This year’s report FY 2022 (July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022) is in preparation now and is normally available for distribution at the polls for the November election.
The Franklin Cultural District Committee is a volunteer committee appointed by the Town Administrator and ratified by the Town Council. The committee is comprised of up to seven members, all of whom are town residents. The committee meets as a full group once a month and subcommittees comprised of board members and partners meet as needed.
The FCDC hosts quarterly Partners meetings. These meetings usually rotate among weeknights and locations in town in an effort to provide flexibility in attendance, as work schedules vary throughout the town. During the COVID Pandemic all FCDC meetings have taken place using the Zoom platform. The meetings are publicized through social media, as well as print media. Meeting times, dates and agendas are posted on the Town’s website. All meetings are open to the public.
Nancy Schoen, Chair John LoPresti, Vice-Chair Pandora Carlucci, Clerk Amy Adams
Jamie Barrett Evan Chelman Roberta Trahan
Our mission is to enrich and inspire our residents and visitors by fostering local cultural, artistic, culinary and historical development aligned with local partners in a defined walkable area, the Cultural District that is easily accessible and serves as the center of economic activity.
Our goals include:
● Actively promoting the arts by attracting local artists and supporting cultural activities within the town;
● Encouraging business and job development;
● Helping to preserve and promote the town’s historical sites and events;
● Building community spirit within Franklin and encourage civic involvement; and
● Helping to create an appealing, attractive, and vibrant destination for tourists.
During FY21 the FCDC received a $7,500.00 grant and a $500.00, Festivals Grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council. The FCDC re-granted the majority of these funds to several Franklin Cultural District Partners through an application review process.
FCDC regularly works to collaborate with Franklin Cultural District’s partners, focusing on supporting and participating in their efforts. In collaboration with many of our Cultural District Partners, FCDC sponsored Franklin’s first ArtWALK Celebration.
During the ArtWALK Celebration weekend, eighteen Franklin artists displayed their artwork in fifteen different businesses in the Cultural District. Throughout the ArtWALK weekend there were many performances held in the Cultural District.
The FCDC was pleased to be able to support the following projects offered to the community by our Cultural District Partners. These events were all part of the weekend ArtWALK Celebration.
● Dave Burnham on behalf of LiveARTS for three piano recitals which were held in the Franklin Historical Museum
● Franklin Art Association purchase of sixty easels which the artists used to display their artwork in fifteen businesses throughout the Cultural District
● Caleigh Keating and Bree Comeau, Children’s Librarians at the Franklin Public Library for a performance of the Hodge Podge puppet on the Franklin Town Common
● Raye Lynn Mercer on behalf of the Franklin Performing Arts Company, THE BLACK BOX Theater and the Franklin School for the Performing Arts for a tent that was used for many performances during the summer
● Dale Kurtz, Veterans’ Agent for the Town of Franklin a grant for engraving on the Veterans’ Walkway
● Franklin Public Schools Music Department Master Class for students and a performance on the Town Common featuring violinist Sarah Whitney, accompanied by Franklin High School musicians
● 67 Degrees Brewing for a visual art demonstration and three musical performances during the ArtWALK Celebration
● Franklin Downtown Partnership for the installation of the Ladybug sculptures.
In the spring of 2021, the FCDC received a grant from the Franklin Cultural Council. With this grant the FCDC was able to sponsor two concerts. The first concert was a cello recital featuring Franklin resident, Brent Selby. This recital was recorded by Franklin TV, was live streamed on Facebook and was also broadcast on the local cable several times for viewing by the entire Franklin community. The second concert was a viola recital featuring Don Krishnaswami which was held at THE BLACK BOX Theater. At this performance Mr. Krishnaswami performed the premiere of Julian Grant’s Suite for Solo Viola. The Franklin Cultural Council also sponsored a concert on the Town Common featuring the Latin, Jazz Band Mark Shilansky and “Join the Group”.
Beginning in June 2020 the FCDC began publishing a monthly electronic newsletter. During the past year, the number of newsletter subscribers has more than doubled. Franklin Cultural District Newsletter highlights include:
● What’s Happening in the District
● Cultural Partners’ Updates
● Cultural District News
● Beyond the Cultural District
The newsletter has enabled the Cultural District Committee to share important Cultural District news and events with a wide audience. All editions of the FCD Newsletters can be found on the Franklin Cultural District website, https://www.franklinculture.org/.
● Twitter @franklin culture
● Instagram @franklinculture
The Franklin Cultural District Committee will continue to support and promote the arts throughout the Franklin Community.
The full Annual Report for 2021 can be found
The collection of Annual Reports can be found online