Water & Sewer Update – Brutus Cantoreggi
Water funds generated are used only for water expenses not for other operational departments in the Town. $4.9 million enterprise budget for FY 2010
Almost 1 billion gallons of water pumped last year, the year before was actually over 1 billion.
Fluoride added and a small amount of chlorine added to improve the quality of water.
In 2002 there were 126 tests were conducted. In 2008, there were 626 tests conducted, and testing expense increased from $10,000 (2002) to $55,000 in 2008.
The old permit was for 4.1 MGD, the new permit is for 3.64 MGD. (MGD = million gallons per day)
Reduced consumption (about 400,000 MGD) equates to reduced water revenue.
In the 20/20 capital plan for the water improvements there were
- new water treatment plant
- replaced over 15 miles of water main
- 90% replacement of residential water meters, 100% replacement of commercial
- renovation of existing wells
Goals/Plans for future
Continue water main replacement
- Emmons and Main Sts (next year)
- Sahlin Circle (next year)
- Lincoln St (multiple phases)
Permitting approval for Pump #12
Replacement of FIP Water Tank