Showing posts with label hybrid. Show all posts
Showing posts with label hybrid. Show all posts

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Franklin, MA: School Committee Meeting - Sep 28, 2021

School Committee Meeting

Municipal Building - Council Chambers (Virtual Link in Agenda)

Call to Order 
Pledge of Allegiance 
Moment of Silence
I. Routine Business
A. Review of Agenda
B. Citizen’s Comments
In the spirit of open communication, “the Committee will hold a public participation segment (also called Citizen’s Comments) about matters not related to an agenda item at the beginning of each regular School Committee meeting. The Committee will listen to, but not respond to any comment made…. A Committee member may add an agenda item to a future meeting as a result of a citizen comment…. The Committee will hear public comments related to an agenda item when the Chair deems appropriate during the Committee meeting. Topics for discussion during the meeting must be limited to those items listed on the Committee meeting agenda for that evening…. ” - from Policy BEDH

C. FHS Student Representative Comments
D. Superintendent’s Report
II. Guests/Presentations
A. Introduce Lily Rivera, Town & School Marketing/Communications Specialist
B. Digital Learning Plan – Alison Finley, Kate Merten, Chris Penza, Marianne Zogby and John Leighton
III. Discussion/Action Items
A. Franklin TV Board Appointment
I recommend the appointment of Rose Turco to the Franklin TV Board of Directors.
B. MASC Delegate
I recommend the Committee appoint Denise Spencer to serve as the Committee's delegate to the annual MASC Annual Meeting of Delegates as discussed.
C. Policy - Waiving 1st reading
I recommend waiving the First Reading of Policy EBCFA Face Coverings as discussed.
D. Policy Adoption
I recommend adopting policy EBCFA - Face Coverings as discussed.
IV. Discussion Only Items 
A. MASC Resolutions
B. ESSER III Funding Plan
C. Back to School Status Update – September 24, 2021

V. Information Matters
A. School Committee Sub-Committee Reports (e.g. Ad Hoc Supt. Evaluation, Budget, Community Relations/Public Schools Advocacy, Policy, Transportation)
B. School Committee Liaison Reports (e.g. Joint PCC, Substance Abuse Task Force, School Wellness Advisory Council)

VI. New Business
A. To discuss any future agenda items

VII. Consent Agenda
A. Approval of Minutes
I recommend approval of the September 14, 2021 School Committee minutes as detailed.
B. New FHS Club Approval
I recommend approval of the new FHS Clubs: Book Club, Hiking Club and Board and Games Club as detailed.

VIII. Payment of Bills Dr. Bergen
IX. Payroll Atty. Pond-Pfeffer

X. Adjournment
Franklin, MA: School Committee Meeting - Sep 28, 2021
Franklin, MA: School Committee Meeting - Sep 28, 2021




Thursday, September 23, 2021

Franklin's Complete Streets feedback sought, info promised

Quick Recap:
  • The Complete Streets policy was approved by the Town Council earlier this year as a guiding principal for consideration in road construction or renovations. It is a good thing to do.
  • The meeting Wednesday was to solicit feedback on a listing of projects that was only available to those who were in person at the meeting to receive the handout. This was shortsighted. The info was promised to be posted to the Town web page Thursday. It could have been done in advance to enable appropriate feedback.
  • The listing is preliminary. It will be prioritized and submitted to the State to seek funding for such projects.
  • This posting will be updated with the Complete Streets project info when it is posted to the Town page as promised.
Town of Franklin Complete Streets page ->   https://www.franklinma.gov/engineering/pages/complete-streets

----

As with most meetings in this pandemic period, I took my notes via Twitter during the meeting reporting live via the Zoom conference bridge.

 

The Twitter hashtag can be found online  #cs0922  https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cs0922&src=typed_query  


Complete Streets meeting agenda:

https://www.franklinma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif6896/f/events/2021-09-22_complete_streets_public_meeting_1.pdf


Presentation doc from February 2021 ->     https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XSOruj9Z6L9rJD5E6dhQsdKq0s3ITIv0/view?usp=sharing

 

Map in Chamber with stickies on it indicating community input
Map in Chamber with stickies on it indicating community input

  • Complete streets meeting begins, live reporting underway via the Zoom session #cs0922 
  • DPW Director Cantoreggi and Town Engineer M Maglio leading session on complete streets after opening by Town Administrator Jamie Hellen #cs0922
  • Map in Chamber with stickies on it indicating community input. Looking to summarize the plan for submission to State and hopefully will be generate some funding for the projects #cs0922
  • Asked for info on priority projects, to be posted to town page Thursday. Also took time to provide feedback on sight lines (actually purview of building commissioner Gus Brown), issue of utility poles blocking sidewalk access, (a constant fight by Town with utilities) #cs0922
  • Also added question on overhang of bushes or trees on sidewalk that hinders a tall walker (like me). Send Brutus an email as I encounter those as they come under his tree warden role. #cs0922
  • Meeting adjourns after no other questions or comments #cs0922

 

Audio recording of meeting to be available in couple of days


Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Policy Sub Committee Meeting - Sep 22, 2021

Policy Sub Committee Meeting

Municipal Building - Training Room (Virtual Link in Agenda)

A G E N D A

“The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may, in fact, be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.”

I. Electronic Distribution of Approved Policies

1. none

II. Discussion of Policies sent to School Committee

A. none

III. Policy Revisions & New Policies - New Discussion Item

A. EBCFA Masks-Face Coverings

B. Review of G policies: GBJ, GCA, GCBC, GCD, GCQF

C. Continued review of Policy Section G


Policy Sub Committee Meeting - Sep 22, 2021
Policy Sub Committee Meeting - Sep 22, 2021



Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Complete Streets Public Discussion - Sep 22 - 6:00 PM

Complete Streets Public Discussion
September 22, 2021 - 6:00 PM

Meeting will be held at the Municipal Building
2nd floor, Council Chambers 355 East Central Street 

Complete Streets program
The Town Administration and Town Public Works staff will be hosting a meeting to discuss the Town’s initial filing of its Complete Streets program with the state on October 1st. 
If any member of the public wishes to attend this discussion, please feel free to attend.

The Complete Streets Policy was approved by the Town Council on April 7, 2021. 

Remote connection info can be found in the meeting agenda:


What's with Complete Streets?
What's with Complete Streets?

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Q&A on Franklin Matters - Sep 16 at 1:00 PM (hybrid meeting)

 Get your Franklin MA questions answered on Thursday, September 16 at 1:00 PM. 

This is a hybrid event coordinated with the Senior Center = "Franklin Matters Q&A with Steve Sherlock"

  • Held at the Franklin Senior Center for those who want to meet in person
  • A Zoom session is also available for remote participation
Zoom info

Topic: Franklin Matters Q&A
Time: Sep 16, 2021 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 882 2328 3552
Passcode: wfpr1029
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,88223283552#,,,,*25616176# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,88223283552#,,,,*25616176# US (Chicago)

*While we do use Zoom to help with the meeting facilitation, only the audio portion of the meeting is recorded for playback via podcast and/or wfpr.fm radio

Q&A on Franklin Matters - Sep 16 at 1:00 PM
Q&A on Franklin Matters - Sep 16 at 1:00 PM

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Economic Development Subcommittee - Agenda - Sep 15

 Economic Development Subcommittee Meeting
Agenda & Meeting Packet
September 15, 2021

Meeting will be held at the Municipal Building
2nd floor, Council Chambers, 355 East Central Street; 5:45 PM

Agenda:
1. Wayfinding signs discussion


Agenda doc with remote connection info

Economic Development Subcommittee - Agenda - Sep 15
Economic Development Subcommittee - Agenda - Sep 15

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Franklin (MA) Board of Health - Agenda - Sep 1, 2021

Franklin Board of Health 
Duly Scheduled Meeting

Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 5:00 PM
Training Room

AGENDA

1) Reading and Acceptance of August 4, 2021 meeting minutes

2) OLD BUSINESS

3) NEW BUSINESS
Tune it out program update
14 Hunters Rd local upgrade request
Metacomet Shared Service grant update
Public health nurse update
Heart Safe Community program discussion
School Committee Interaction Update

Chairman opens the floor for any other new business

(4) CITIZENS COMMENTARY

(5) ADJOURNMENT 



Franklin (MA) Board of Health - Agenda - Sep 1, 2021
Franklin (MA) Board of Health - Agenda - Sep 1, 2021


Franklin Art Association - hybrid meeting - Sep 1

Dear FAA members, 

We are so excited to welcome everyone back IN PERSON this Wednesday Sept. 1st at the Franklin Senior Center for our first meeting of the year.  The meeting will start with a social hour at 6:30 PM, followed by a brief business meeting and then our feature event! Guest artist Karole Nicholson will give a live demonstration.  

The meeting will also be available on Zoom for those who can not join us in person.  Zoom link =>  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82181910922?pwd=ME9aTGtvRVJFVlg2aDBlMllVT1ZZdz09

Reminder: For the health of all, we ask that you please wear a mask when inside the Senior Center, regardless of vaccination status.  Thank you kindly for your cooperation. 

The Fall Show will be held Saturday, October 2 and will be open to ALL current members, no pre-registration required simply bring your work, ready to hang, with your show entry fee to the drop off!  All participating members are asked to assist in making the show a success by volunteering in some capacity.  Here: https://volunteersignup.org/B7WXH is sign up sheet for show volunteers. 

Show prospectus ->   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hwl2k_5GCSRx5j1rB5JadMww0lvXU1_l/view?usp=sharing

Membership renewal form ->   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FEufMLLTfaXLe3tGNkFi2Pk4Elmgd-7G/view?usp=sharing

Franklin Art Association - hybrid meeting - Sep 1
Franklin Art Association - hybrid meeting - Sep 1


Friday, August 27, 2021

FM #591 & 592 - School Committee Meeting - 08/24/21 - audio recording in 2 parts

FM #591 & 592 = This is the Franklin Matters radio show, numbers 591 & 592 in the series. 


This session of the radio show shares the Franklin, MA School Committee meeting held on Tuesday, August 24, 2021.


The meeting was conducted in a hybrid format: the School Committee members were in the Municipal Bldg along with some of the public, other members of the public joined via conference bridge, all to adhere to the ‘social distancing’ requirements of this pandemic period.


The recording runs about an hour and forty eight minutes (1 hour 48 minutes), so I split the meeting into two segments:

  • First - covers the opening, the handbook updates, and re-opening status (~56 mins)

  • Second - covers the citizens comments on the masking policy from DESE, the consent agenda, through to the closing of the meeting (~53 mins)

Links to the meeting agenda and associated documents released for this meeting are included in the show notes. The link to my notes taken during the meeting is also provided.


Let’s listen to this segment of the School Committee meeting Aug 24, 2021

 

Part 1 -> https://player.captivate.fm/episode/5f222fa5-c28e-4fea-990e-c82a38fadb91



Part 2 -> https://player.captivate.fm/episode/78bb69ef-d83c-49e9-9562-dd85585b60af



--------------


School Committee Agenda doc (including connection info) ->  https://www.franklinps.net/district/meeting-packets/files/sc-agenda-8-24-21

 

Agenda folder -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/meeting-packets/pages/august-24-2021-school-committee-meeting-packet


My notes captured during the meeting

https://www.franklinmatters.org/2021/08/recap-school-committee-meeting-82421.html 


--------------


We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.  


This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.

 

How can you help?

  • If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors

  • If you don't like something here, please let me know


Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.


For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/ or www.franklin.news/


If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com


The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana"  c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.


I hope you enjoy!

------------------


You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"

 

FM #591 & 592 - School Committee Meeting - 08/24/21 - audio recording in 2 parts
FM #591 & 592 - School Committee Meeting - 08/24/21 - audio recording in 2 parts

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Franklin Matters Q&A - August 26 at 1:30 PM (hybrid session - Senior Ctr and Zoom link)

Get your Franklin MA questions answered on Thursday, August 26 at 1:30 PM. 

This is a hybrid event coordinated with the Senior Center = "Franklin Matters Q&A with Steve Sherlock"

  • Held at the Franklin Senior Center for those who want to meet in person
  • A Zoom session is also available for remote participation
Zoom info

Topic: Franklin Matters Q&A (audio* recording session)
Time: Aug 26, 2021 01:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 842 2294 5542
Passcode: wfpr1029
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,84222945542#,,,,*67234032# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,,84222945542#,,,,*67234032# US (New York)

*While we do use Zoom to help with the meeting facilitation, only the audio portion of the meeting is recorded for playback via podcast and/or wfpr.fm radio

Q&A on Franklin Matters - August 26 at 1:30 PM
Q&A on Franklin Matters - August 26 at 1:30 PM

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Franklin Area Nonprofit Network Meeting preparation for the August 23, 2021 session

The Franklin Area Nonprofit Network (FANN) has scheduled its next meeting for all nonprofits for Monday, Aug 23, 2021 at 7:00 PM. A hybrid meeting, we can met in person at the TV studio or virtually via Zoom. Details below.

If you are a member of a nonprofit and someone from your group is not already taking part, feel free to reach out to me (Steve Sherlock) for more info, or join a session to find more about what we are doing to help each other support the Franklin community.


In advance of our next meeting, you can:

1 - Review the Mission, Vision and Core Values in prep for review and discussion

https://www.franklinareanonprofitnetwork.org/2021/08/fann-steering-committee-has-two-updates.html


2 - Respond to the survey questions on your organization’s grant needs so we can help to coordinate the best response for the group.


  • Survey on grants:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeH2_hnpdeHji2Jo8zJxC-FP_8OfOD3lWn08I9wYAkFFxWrSg/viewform


3 - Friendly reminder:  sign up to introduce your group/org  


4 - The meeting has been created in Facebook to enable sharing:

5 - Check out the updated listing of nonprofits   https://www.franklinareanonprofitnetwork.org/p/area-non-profits.html

Use the form to make updates, changes, or additions

https://www.franklinareanonprofitnetwork.org/p/directory-addchange.html


FANN Meeting preparation for the August 23, 2021 session
FANN Meeting preparation for the August 23, 2021 session


Sunday, August 1, 2021

Mass. Municipal Assn: "Select board group discusses the future of public meetings"

Mass. Municipal Assn (@massmunicipal) tweeted on Fri, Jul 30, 2021:
Mass. Select Board Assn concluded its annual Leadership Conference series with a webinar on the future of public meetings w/ @TOFranklinMA Town Administrator Jamie Hellen & #Stow Town Administrator Denise Dembkoski.  https://t.co/6GTFYf0aCl 

"The future of public meetings was the topic of the fourth and final webinar in the Massachusetts Select Board Association’s Leadership Conference series today.

Franklin Town Administrator Jamie Hellen kicked off the meeting with a discussion about how the town has transitioned from all-virtual to hybrid board and committee meetings that allow for a combination of virtual and in-person participation. Hellen showed how Franklin’s Town Council chambers have been set up to allow the council, staff, presenters and meeting participants to attend meetings in-person while the public joins remotely.

Hellen covered important aspects of the set up, such as room layout and the necessary technology, as well as the town’s partnership with its local access TV provider, Franklin TV. He also emphasized the importance of trial and error in order to develop a system that works best for the community."


Mass. Municipal Assn: "Select board group discusses the future of public meetings"
Mass. Municipal Assn: "Select board group discusses the future of public meetings"


Wednesday, June 30, 2021

FM #576 - Erin Rogers, Senior Center Special Events Outlook for Jul/Aug - 06/23/21 (audio)

FM #576 = This is the Franklin Matters radio show, number 576 in the series. 


This session of the radio show shares my conversation with Erin Rogers. Erin is currently the Executive Director for the Franklin Senior Center.  She replaced Karen Alves when Karen retired last year.


We talk about her transition to Executive Director in the middle of COVID-19. We talk about the variety of special events and activities scheduled for July and August. The regular event calendar with specific dates and time details can be found on the Senior Center page..


The recording runs about 21 minutes, so let’s listen to my conversation with Erin.


*** Audio file ->  https://player.captivate.fm/episode/1cadc538-2a63-4c09-bdca-5f1fa091979f


--------------


Franklin Senior Center https://www.franklinma.gov/fsc


Senior Center Connections newsletter  https://www.franklinma.gov/franklin-senior-center/pages/connection-newsletter


--------------


We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.  


This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.

 

How can you help?

  • If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors

  • If you don't like something here, please let me know


Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.


For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/ or www.franklin.news/


If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com


The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana"  c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.


I hope you enjoy!

------------------


You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"

 

Erin Rogers, Senior Center Special Events Outlook for Jul/Aug
Erin Rogers, Senior Center Special Events Outlook for Jul/Aug

Friday, June 18, 2021

Recap: Economic Development Subcommittee - discussion on housing plan and requirements for home based businesses

Quick Recap:
  • The housing production plan was reviewed and discussed. Key among the actions is to further obtain any and all citizen input/comment by June 25 and update this draft. The revised plan would then be approved by Planning Board and Town Council before being submitted to the State for acceptance.
  • Key to specific items to address the housing would be the zoning assessment. This analysis would provide an objective 3rd party view on what we have and what we could do to allow for appropriate and affordable housing
  • Discussion on home based businesses. Good to boot strap a concept, Health Dept is ok with food production as long as the ServeSafe and other related food prep requirements are adhered to. The wrinkle comes with handling the sewer waste and implementation of a grease trap which can be expensive.
  • The Town is not prepared for how to address this opportunity. More research is required which they will conduct during the next couple of months and bring back to Subcommittee for further discussion.
----
As with most meetings in this pandemic period, I took my notes via Twitter during the meeting reporting in real-time via the virtual session.
 
The Twitter hashtag can be found online  #edc0616
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Edc0616&src=typed_query 

Photos captured during the meeting can be found in one album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AayFgpTfmSzB3Y2w9

  • EDC meeting to begin soon, awaiting quorum #edc0616
  • Without quorum, may at least open meeting and have a discussion. #fincom0616
  • Quorum achieved (with virtual participation of Frongillo and Bissanti), EDC meeting opens at 7:09 PM. #edc0616
  • Chair Hamblen opens meeting, reads protocol statement, #fincom0616 First item, housing production plan for discussion if needed, plan can be found https://www.franklinma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif6896/f/uploads/franklin_housing_production_plan_-_may_2021_public_draft.pdf 
  • Feedback sought as part of the draft review process. #fincom0616
  • Cool to be back in Municipal Bldg, Planner Amy Love provides an overview of the plan, similar to what was presented earlier in Housing Trust meeting #edc0616
  • My notes from that (Municipal Affordable Housing Trust) meeting, for the record, can be found https://franklinmatters.org/2021/06/recap-municipal-affordable-housing.html?m=1 #edc0616
  • Difference in accounting between apartment and residential units, all apartments count if only a smaller # are affordable; for owned residential units only the # affordable apply to the housing rate (i.e. 6 of 30, only the 6 - if apartments, 6 of 30 all 30 count) condos ->
  • Condos count as owned units so only the # would count (like other owned residential, not like apartments). #edc0616 What is considered affordable for Franklin? Major issue
  • Development costs are hire, art zoning would need to have incentives to allow the developers to make the money back that they give up making some of the units affordable. #edc0616
  • Multiple discussion points on affordable and how to tackle it, the new housing behind Eaton Place will help but it won't be online soon (still needs funding) #edc0616
  • Motion to move housing plan forward to planning board and to Council for approval incorporating the changes and comments #edc0616 passes 4-0 via roll call.
  • Moving to home occupied businesses for next part of discussion. #edc0616
  • How do you permit a bootstrap business from a home, some i.e. kitchens can pose health concerns, others may have traffic/delivery issues for neighbors. #edc0616 permit some level of production up to which they're good, beyond that next level up. ZBA may be an option
  • In commercial areas, need to protect the sewer system, with grease traps, when blockages occur it stops things and that is not good. Title 5 systems are built for 3 or 4 bedrooms not commercial industry business. #edc0616 who acts the agent for volume?
  • We can't use the ZBA or planning board and their temporary benevolence, if something is good, let's make it right. #edc0616 strict guidelines on food prep, zoning is the issue in the case of chocolate bars (as the talking point example)
  • let's provide some time to research, see what others are doing, Boston is a whole different system. #edc0616 what might work, what would be some controls, there is no capacity at Charles River. we do need to consider the big picture of affordability
  • Motion to adjourn, second, passes 4-0 via roll call #fincom0616 

Audio file to be available in a couple of days

discussion on housing plan and requirements for home based businesses
discussion on housing plan and requirements for home based businesses