All four have agreed to a 1.5% increase for FY 2013, a 2% increase for FY 2014 and a 2.5% increase for FY 2015. Three of the four receive a one time cash payment of $600, the fourth (the custodians) receive a $500 cash payment.
The money for the cash payment comes from the extra $151,114 that Franklin received in Oct 2011. This amount was local aid from the State added over and above the amount previously allocated. Franklin put the money aside in a special account. They need to allocate it within FY 2012 or it will roll into the "free cash" account and not be available until the "free cash" is approved later this year.
What this does to the overall question of the teacher contract $350,000 which is scheduled to be drawn back from the Stabilization account for use in the FY 2013 budget remains to be seen. As previously reported here, the FinCom did not specifically approve this transaction although they did approve the total Town budget which requires this amount to balance it. They do have time to vote on it before the Town Council budget hearings are held on May 23-24.
One other note, while so much was made of the teacher increase and how it was communicated, almost glossed over was the increase amounts of .5% for FY 2012 and 1% for FY 2013. Both of these amounts are now equivalent to the Town contract settlements. If it was revealed what increase the is that would be scheduled beyond FY 2013, I have not been able to locate in my notes. I suspect as they are exploring the interest based bargaining approach to addressing the systemic problem with the steps and lanes that there was agreement beyond FY 2013.
Town Council agenda items for May 2, 2012
2. Resolution 12-26: Appropriation: FY 12 Wages (Contract Settlement)3. Resolution 12-27: Ratification of AFSCME Local 1298 Public Safety Telecommunications 4. Resolution 12-28: Ratification of AFSCME Local 1298 Public Facilities Employees5. Resolution 12-29: Ratification of AFSCME Local 1298 Municipal Building Employees 6. Resolution 12-30: Ratification of AFSCME Local 1298 Custodians
- Full agenda document with the details on the contract settlements for each bargaining unit. http://franklinma.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/FranklinMA_CouncilAgendas/2012%20docs/050212.pdf
- School Committee teacher contract discussion with Town Council
- Live reporting from the Council meeting http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/live-reporting-school-committeeteacher.html
- Ed Cafasso letter summary of the issue http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/10-6-franklin-school-update.html
- Joint budget subcommittee meeting on the issue http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/live-reporting-joint-budget.html and my summary of what the outlook might be http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/what-will-happen-oct-26th-remains.html
- Council meeting of Oct 26 http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/live-reporting-school-budget-discussion.html
- The extra $151,114 arrives http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/10/ma-confirms-151114-coming-to-franklin.html
- The FinCom session on Weds 4/25/12 provides the insights into the use of the $151,115