Adventure Scientists - Help Protect Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
Apply to this project if you are a hiker, a birder, a biker, a forager, or want to contribute to a sustainable future for our world's forests.
Do you like to travel and explore outside of Franklin? Do you frequent western and southern Massachusetts? Help further the knowledge of tulip poplar in the state until December 31, 2023 through the Timber Tracking Project.
WHAT: Collect leaves, twigs, and in some cases wood cores
WHEN: Now through December 31, 2023
WHERE: Public lands (forests, refuges, reserves, parks) throughout sampling range pictured above
DIFFICULTY: Easy/Moderate. May require off-trail travel for short or moderate distances. Multiple sample types. May require accessing leaves in the high canopy; Training and tools are provided to do so.
You can collect by yourself or with as many partners as you'd like! You can apply with up to 3 partners and your team will receive one gear kit for the field sampling. There is no requirement that you organize a big group or cohort, but if you have friends that want to participate, you can each apply and sample together.
To apply please visit the Timber volunteer page where you will be able to find the application and learn more about the project and mission. Once you apply, you will get access to the online training for how to identify and sample tulip poplars.
Here are the volunteer qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age or older (minors are welcome to join sampling outings but asked not to lead data collection)
- Able to use a smartphone to collect data
- Have the experience and ability to travel in the outdoors with at least one partner safely
- Previous field data collection experience is preferred, but not required
- Adventure Scientists will supply you with the tools and training necessary to collect samples from the forest. You are required to follow all environmental, safety, and permitting protocols.
Happy trails and safe sampling!
|Adventure Scientists - Help Protect Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)|