This session shares my conversation with Jim Derick and Jennifer Levine of the SAFE Coalition. We had our conversation via conference bridge to adhere to the ‘social distancing’ requirements of this pandemic period.
We walked through the development of the Coalition from the first meeting at FHS through to the evolution to where they are now, with a facility in Norfolk and Jen in the role of Executive Director. From what was truly a ‘coalition’ of stakeholders volunteering and making things happen to the newly evolved Board and Executive Director non-profit format to better accomplish their service delivery. And they are continuing to adjust during this pandemic.
Among the topics covered:
- Recovery is a journey
- Vaping and addiction cessation
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- FHS high school peer-to-peer group
- Newsletter monthly
- Fundraising begins in earnest to support the new delivery model
SAFE Coalition, www.safecoalitionma.org, Franklin, 508-488-8105
Turning Point Recovery Center, Walpole (508) 668-3960
Wayside Youth and Family Support, www.waysideyouth.org, Milford, 508-478-6888
Riverside Community Care, www.riversidecc.org, Milford, 800-294-4665
Techtogether.co This resource highlights support programs online nationwide
Learn 2 Cope parent peer-to-peer support email@example.com
Road 2 Recovery - 12 step meeting for parents and loved ones contact Jim Derick firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Franklin Public Schools Substance Abuse Taskforce https://www.franklinps.net/district/substance-abuse-education
SAFE Coalition supports:
- Peer to Peer mentorship
- Peer to Peer parent mentorship
- Zoom Group Programming:
- Mondays: Learn2Cope
- Wednesdays: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Wednesdays: 12 Step for Parents of those with children who are living with an addiction
- Saturdays: Parents general support group
- Grief Counselor
- Section 35 aid
- Narcan Training
- Narcan Dispensing
- Medication Disposal
- Vaping education program in partnership with Stanford University
- Direct clinical counseling in partnership with Wayside Youth and Family Support Systems
- Referrals to all levels of substance use and mental health treatment
- One on One care planning
- Public and Private Consulting
- Support Line: 508-488-8105
*All services are free of charge. Donations accepted.
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm).
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"
|FM #274 SAFE Coalition - Their Story 5/13/20 (audio)|