- The financial and other school closing considerations revealed in this session. Document talked to during meeting linked to below. It is not surprising that there would be some financial savings, remove duplicate administration, realize some efficiencies in classrooms and other staffing support. Finally got to see the numbers and quantification for such. 'Estimates' but well developed
- Meeting next week (Jan 20, 2021 - 5:30 PM) for additional public comments and then the Subcommittee would get to work on their recommendation and how to present the 'story' to the full School Committee and community before the School Committee vote (timeline TBD)
- The School Committee makes their decision on the education of the Davis Thayer (DT) students and whether to the use the existing DT building or move the students to Keller (pros/cons elsewhere) but at a savings to the District of about $1M.
- Assume the School Committee declares the DT building not fit for District educational use then the Town (and Town Council possibly) would get involved in determining the future disposition of the DT facility. The School Committee would remain focused on the education and appropriate transition of DT students and some faculty into the Keller building and newly enlarged Keller educational community
- While this subcommittee is focused only on DT, the full committee must still address the longer term facility needs. They have not yet set up a group to begin to follow the remainder of the facility analysis recommendations that the District could close three school buildings and restructure to better provide education to the students in the Franklin community and be more
cost effective doing so. How much remains to be seen. That would be part of the work of this 'new' subcommittee
Financial Analysis doc shared during meeting: https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/davis_thayer_facilities_analysis-_financial_data.pdf
Davis Thayer Facility Analysis page https://www.franklinps.net/district/davis-thayer-facilities-analysis
Photos captured during the meeting can be found in one album
As with most meetings in this pandemic period, I took my notes via Twitter during the meeting reporting in real-time via the virtual session.
The Twitter hashtag can be found online
- Next up, Davis Thayer Facility Analysis subcommittee meeting #dtfa0114 agenda and connection info in doc linked here https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/agendas/agenda_dt_subcom_1.14.21.pdf
- #dtfa0114 awaiting a member to arrive before beginning.
- Meeting called to order at 5:37 #dtfa0114 Dec 9 minutes, moved to approve, passed 3-0 via roll call Review of timeline to confirm where they are in the process.
- Audio connection difficulty with one member, #dtfa0114 hard stop at 6:45 tonight to allow for others to attend the webinar on pool testing announced at the SchComm meeting
- Miriam and Erica worked the details on this analysis, assumes DT students would be served by Keller, based upon forecasted enrollment combined could change from 28 classrooms to 25. #dtfa0114
- The class sizes would be within SchComm guidelines #dtfa0114 this is a larger view of the prior share.
- Early best guess estimates could see staff reductions in the new combined school #dtfa0114 many service providers would need to follow the students. Projections not set in stone, would require discussion with FEA. 3 classroom teachers prior but the 6.8 here is more than ...
- #dtfa0114 there are nuances in some of the support where some folks travel from school to school, some better efficiency possible to still provide support as needed. Small reduction in subs a guesstimate due to overall reduction in classes across the district and allocated ..
- To Keller (taking DT out of the equation) some busing changes due to the distance between home and school, to the new school, in some cases a bus fee, for those over 2 miles, free bus ... Uses last year's busing numbers due to pandemic this year #dtfa0114
- Cost for building actually in the town side of the budget, not in school budget, the town had anticipated DT closure prematurely for the FY 21 budget, they may need to adjust accordingly but overall the one school closure would be about $130k savings for the Town #dtfa0114
- Likely to recommend to turn the building over the town for other purposes assuming no educational related capacity. #dtfa0114 overall savings just under $1m
- Title I funds could 'follow' DT students to Keller because the combined population would still be above Oak, if socio-economic status stays the same, no real change but reevaluate would be required to confirm #dtfa0114
- Consideration of physical distance in case pandemic requires, could require hybrid but better fit at Keller. Community culture piece at DT important to consider. #dtfa0114
- Q on Solutions, would need to check with Lifelong Learning to confirm. Limits are depending upon space and staffing for revenue justification. Q would they be DT kids at Keller or all kids at Keller, would be steps to assist process of one new larger unit. #dtfa0114
- There is an impact for Annie Sullivan to use some of their space for Keller, primarily classroom space; as noted in the Facility Analysis. #dtfa0114 BICO does use 2 classrooms (at $31k revenue/yr) do they relocate within district or what?? On radar.
- Will need to make another meeting, may not have time in what is left to address all the citizens comments #dtfa0114 first citizen comment claims 'blinded sided' by decision ... Oops found this was not sent. Meeting adjourned at 6:45, not enuf time for more discussion
- Meeting TBD for next week for additional comments and then Committee planning on recommendation and how to present the 'story' to the full Committee and Community for SchComm vote. #dtfa0114
- SchComm makes decision on the education of the DT students and whether to the use the existing DR building or move the students to Keller (pros/cons) elsewhere but at a savings to the District of about $1m. Assume SchComm declares building not fit for District use then…
- Town (and Town Council possibly) would get involved in future use of DT facility. SchComm would remain focused on the education and appropriate transition of DT students and some faculty into the Keller building and newly enlarged Keller Community #dtfa0114
- Stay tuned for further developments. Meeting sometime next week. That's all for tonight, catch you next time #dtfa0114 (Subcommittee will update this slide to show they are in Stage 2)
|Subcommittee will update this slide to show they are in Stage 2)|