The School Committee met mostly in Executive Session, and in the brief public session voted to accept the negotiated teacher contract terms with the Franklin Education Association (FEA) for the period September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2025.
The meeting portion of this recording should start at about 2:00 minutes with the announcement of "recording in progress". After they enter executive session via roll call, the recording stops and the wfpr.fm broadcast resumes.
You can listen to the broadcast, or skip ahead to 37:42 when they return from open session. Current Asst Superintendent Lucas Giguere provides some updates on key speaking points:
- interest based bargaining to reach 3 year agreement
- 4 percent increases to the salary grid for years 1, 2 and 3
- elementary teachers got an increase from 30 to 40 consecutive minutes for prep time
- middle and high school teachers got a daily advisory period for purposes of consistent application of social and emotional curriculum
- department heads and directors will formally participate in the teacher evaluation process
- language around course approval and limitations to that
- also bereavement language around coverage for family members that may not be art of a traditional family such as step parents or partners
In the roll call vote Dave Callahan abstained, all other committee members voted for and when asked by the Chair, Town Administrator Jamie Hellen voted no. So this is new, I have not heard of our Town Administrator participating with the vote of the school committee.
I'll record it as 6-0-1 (7 members, 6 for, 1 abstain) all via roll call.