HockomockSports.com posted the results of Hockomock League competition on Friday, Sep 9, 2022. We share the FHS results here and provide the link to the full set below.
Football = Franklin, 32 @ Wachusett, 22 – Final
- 1Q: (W) McGeary 3-yard rush, XP good; (F) Jase Lyons 65-yard pass to Luke Davis, Garrett Portesi XP good.
- 2Q: (W) Wachusett touchdown, XP good; (F) G. Portesi 30-yard field goal. (F) J. Lyons 60-yard pass to L. Davis, XP failed.
- 3Q: (F) J. Lyons 35-yard pass to L. Davis, XP failed; (F) G. Portesi field goal.
- 4Q: (W) McDonald rush, McGeary 2pt rush; (F) Mike Davide 4-yard rush, G. Portesi XP good.
Boys Soccer = Franklin 1, @ Oliver Ames, 5 – Final
– Oliver Ames raced out to a three-goal lead by halftime and then tacked on two goals inside the final 15 minutes to secure a 5-1 win over Franklin in its season opener. Five different players scored for the Tigers, starting with a goal just over five minutes into the game. Sophomore Luke Churchill lifted a ball over the top of the defense and junior Ryan Linhares ran onto it and calmly chipped the oncoming keeper on the bounce. Less than 10 minutes later, sophomore Casey Milliken played in a through ball to junior Ryan Carney and he finished low to the far post. OA made it 3-0 in the 35th minute as Hector Bucio was first to a corner from Linhares, hitting a low one-timer into the back of the net from inside the area.
Franklin had a strong start to the second half and played equal to the hosts. The Panthers pulled one back in the 47th minute after good pressure from juniors Andrew O’Neill and Hansy Jacques ended up in a combination between the two and the latter smashed a low left-footed shot off the far post and in. After some more even play, OA cashed in on a Franklin turnover. Andrew Martins took down a failed clearance connected with Milliken, who fired a cross/shot that was spilled in the area and Mirray Dasilva was first to the loose ball and fired it in. Michael MacAdam came up with a turnover at midfield and quickly hit a counter pass up to Milliken that drew Franklin goalie Griffin Tolonen well off his line. Tolonen got the ball but it deflected right to Martins, who passed one into the back of the net.
For a photo gallery of this game -> https://hockomocksports.smugmug.com/2022-2023/Fall-2022/Oliver-Ames-Franklin-Boys-Soccer-09-09-22/
Girls Soccer = Oliver Ames, 0 @ Franklin, 2 – Final
Josh Perry, Managing Editor of HockomockSports.com, provides the game recap:
"When Franklin head coach Tom Geysen left practice on Thursday evening, he didn’t know what to expect from his team when it lined up to face Oliver Ames in the season opener. Once things kicked off for real though, the Panthers eased their coach’s fears and welcomed him back to the sidelines with a win.Franklin scored twice in the opening half and used its typically stout defense to earn a 2-0 victory over a young Tigers team, winning Friday afternoon’s battle of defending league champions at Pisini Field.“I knew what was going to happen in the second half because that’s how they play and I told these kids ahead of time, they’re going to play long ball, they’re going to push to the wings, and that’s what they did,” said Geysen, who was forced to miss last season because of health issues. “I thought defensively, the kids in the back played really well.”
Continue reading the game recap online ->
For a photo gallery from this game -> https://hockomocksports.smugmug.com/2022-2023/Fall-2022/Franklin-Oliver-Ames-Girls-Soccer-09-09-22/
For the other results around the Hockomock League on Friday
|Franklin senior Norah Anderson makes a tackle in the penalty area, denying Oliver Ames a scoring opportunity in the season opener. (Josh Perry/HockomockSports.com)|