Incident Summary Water loss 1/1/09
Apparent power loss between 3:00 and 4:00AM
KENNEDY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
- Custodian shoveling reported school cold at about 10:00 AM
- Sent heating company to investigate
- ATC (heating contractor) found problem and got heat back on
Damage: Broken coils in two rooms and the cafeteria, food loss in the cafeteria fridge and freezer. Rooms soaked with water
Status: Coils all repaired, Carpets shampooed, Fridge fixed
FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL
- Athletic director reported a big water spill on gym floor and it being very cold in the High School about 5 :00 PM
- Checked school on computer and called people to investigate pump problem
- Custodian found pumps down
- Called heating company and they isolated gym coil and got heat back on approximately 10:00 PM
- Custodian cleaned up water in gym and one room
- Heating company on site as coils started to unfreeze and leak. Isolated coils and removed 3 for repair. Problems with 5 areas. Cleaned up water spills
- Heating company and I on site to work more on heat after building still cold
- Returned full heat to building and 7 more coils unfroze and leaked, isolated and custodians cleaned up water. Building secure with full heat.
Damage: 10 classrooms heating coils, gym coil, greenhouse heat, floors damaged in 8 rooms and gym floor buckled.
Status: Heat repaired in all 10 rooms and greenhouse. All rooms cleaned. Starting tile removal tomorrow and possibly replacement next week. Start to work on procuring gym floor replacement next week.
FRANKLIN SENIOR CENTER
- Received call from fire that senior center had problem fire alarm going off, checked on computer and saw no heat. Sent heating company
- Restored heat but sprinkler piping had froze and broken flooding multipurpose room
- Sent Compton sprinkler and custodians to clean up water
- Custodians returned Saturday and Sunday to do more cleanup
- Sprinklers repaired
- Pressure valve in dishwasher replaced, heat in attic repaired
- Affected rugs in 3 rooms re-shampooed
- Drying system set up in multipurpose room
Damage: Sprinkler system heads and piping including outside heads, dishwasher valve, fill tube in attic, wet sheetrock in multipurpose, $3,000 in computers, multipurpose flooded, 3 rooms flooded.
Status: Sprinkler interior repairs complete, rooms cleaned and shampooed, dishwasher valve and fIn tube repaired/replaced.
Open: Outside sprinkler heads on order, multipurpose drying, misc. ceiling tiles to replace
- Insurance claim proceeding after meeting with adjuster on Tuesday. Approval given by MEGA to complete items and forward bills
- Norma Collins got verbal approval from State DCAM Department of Asset Management Attorney George Matthews office to expedite all repairs with reduced procurement requirements
- No school time lost from incidents in schools
- Senior center will open tomorrow for all areas excluding multipurpose room
- Investigating monitoring system for heating system points. Approximate cost for 16 properties is $25,000 to install and $5,000 per year in monitoring costs