Additional items will be added here as they are found/prepared.
If you are looking for something in particular regarding the budget and don't find it, please let me know.
Letter from Ed Cafasso
Joint Statement on Override - June 8th
Scott Mason Interview on the whole gamut of topics around the vote on June 8th
Town Fiscal Year 2011 Budget document and cover letter
Budget Workshop (held Jan 25, 2010) to prepare for the budget
Finance Committee budget hearings
May 4th http://franklinmatters.blogspot.com/2010/05/finance-committee-050410.html
May 6th http://franklinmatters.blogspot.com/2010/05/finance-committee-050610.html
May 10th http://franklinmatters.blogspot.com/2010/05/finance-committee-051010.html
Town Forum at Horace Mann School Auditorium (video)
Town Council budget hearings
June 9th - meeting notes can be found here
Franklin budget for FY 2010
Franklin budget documents for years prior to 2010
Financial audit reports for Fiscal Years 2008 and 2009
School Department/School Committee budget book
School Department proposed cuts to the level service budget (assuming override does not pass)
School Committee override page
Schools presentation on budget and need for override
Financial Planning Committee report (long term plan) and documents
A series of posts on State Education Mandates (unfunded mandates)
Invest in Franklin: http://investinfranklin.weebly.com/
The June 8th Special Election Flyer can be found here
The forums and events calendar to hear and discuss information on the Special Election June 8th can be found here
Franklin's override and debt exclusion history
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Prop 2 1/2 Override?
- What other federal and state funds support the school department’s operating budget?
- Can the town guarantee that the funds from the override will always be spent exactly the same way?
- Why do some citizens disagree with rating agencies about Franklin’s debt?
- How does per pupil spending in Franklin compare with spending in other Massachusetts communities?
- We wouldn’t be in a crisis if we hadn’t spent money on the senior center, fire station and new ball fields.
- Pension costs are killing us, so why don’t town employees fund their own pensions?
- What in the world is free cash?
- I have heard some people suggest we should adopt a split tax rate that makes businesses in Franklin pay more property taxes. Wouldn’t that solve the problem?
- Why do parents pay fees for their children to ride the bus or participate in athletics?
- Can’t we keep using money from the stabilization fund to get rid of our budget deficits?
- My children are in the Charter School. Will the override affect them?
- The town officials have found money in the past. They’ll find it again this time, won’t they?
- What has the town done to try to eliminate waste and bring spending under control?
- I have heard people criticize the way the town is run. If that’s true, why should I give the town more of my hard-earned money?
- Why is the school district continually facing a budget gap?
- When would the impact of an override take effect in Franklin?
- Has Franklin really laid off teachers?
- Why have my taxes gone up so much in the last four years?
- Is it true that we have too many overpaid administrators?
- Why should the community support the school budget?
- Will the override solve all of our fiscal problems?
Significant comment discussion is also found in these articles on the Milford Daily News website