Under “An Act to Address Challenges Faced by Municipalities and State Authorities Resulting From COVID-19,” Chapter 53 of the Acts of 2020, the Town Administrator has adopted two (2) local options to extend the due date for Real Estate and Personal Property (RE/PP) tax payments through June 1, 2020, as well as a waiver of interest on certain municipal tax and other bills (water, sewer, trash & excise), which are paid late, but on or before June 30, 2020.
1. Local Option #1: The due date for Real Estate and Personal Property tax bills has been extended to June 1, 2020. June 1, 2020 is the new due date even if the due date for payment on your enclosed or previously mailed tax bill is April 1, 2020 or May 1, 2020.
What does this Mean?
- a. Every property owner in Franklin has one additional month to pay their RE/PP bill.
- b. Beginning June 2, 2020, late fees and penalties will be assessed.
2. Local Option #2: The town has also optioned “to waive interest and other penalty for late payment of any excise, tax, betterment assessment or apportionment thereof, water rate or annual sewer use, or other charge, added to a tax for any payments with a due date on or after March 10, 2020 where payment is made late but before June 30, 2020.”
This waiver applies to late payments of bills that have a due date of March 10, 2020 or after when such bills are paid late, but paid on, or before, June 30. This waiver of late fees and penalty does not apply to bills with due dates before March 10, 2020 or if the bill is not paid by June 30
What does this mean?
- a. The waiver of late fees and penalties applies to only water, sewer, trash & excise bills.
- b. Late fees and penalties will be waived; provided payment is made on or before June 30, 2020.
- c. Due dates for all water, sewer, trash and excise bills originally due after March 10 will be due on or before June 30 regardless of the bill due date.
- d. On July 1, 2020, late fees and penalties will begin being assessed.
How Can I Pay My Bills?
● White dropbox - residents can drop off payments by check and money order only, census forms, etc. in the white dropbox (mailbox) located on the side of the Municipal Building at 355 East Central Street.
● Online Payment - Permitting and Online Payments (property and real estate, water/sewer/trash, excise taxes) can also be found online: Online payments at
Who Do I Contact With Questions?
If any citizen has a question, they should contact the Treasurer-Collector’s Office. The best method right now is to email Treasurer-Collector Kerri Bertone at firstname.lastname@example.org
Citizens may also call the general office phone line, leave a voicemail and a member of the staff will return your phone call. The phone number is (508) 520-4950.
Please find the PDF of this on the Town of Franklin page:
|Attention Franklin Residents: Important Notice to Taxpayers|