Dear Pantry Friends,
During this season of Thanksgiving, hunger and food insecurity receive a lot of attention. Thanksgiving is, typically, a time when families and friends gather around a table and a bounty of food! Unfortunately, that bounty of food is not a reality for everyone and this year many more people are facing a more difficult holiday season. Feeding America has just shared the most recent statistics reminding us that there is still a lot of work for us to do to continue to decrease food insecurity in the Commonwealth.
- 1 in 7 people (1 in 5 kids) in the Commonwealth is considered food insecure
- During the pandemic, Massachusetts, has seen the greatest percentage increase of individuals experiencing food insecurity anywhere in the country - up 59%.
- We have also seen the greatest increase in childhood food insecurity - up 102%.
- Norfolk County has seen the largest percent change in child food insecurity - up 163%.
- Communities of color have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic and food insecurity - 1 in 5 Black households, and nearly 1 in 3 Latino/a households is experiencing food insecurity. For white households, the number is 1 in 8.
The Franklin Food Pantry's mission is to alleviate food insecurity and compassionately empower our community through resources and collaboration. We are doing this with your help. Hunger does not stop after the holidays. We can continue to provide food for our neighbors through your support - and there are a number of ways in which you can help:
- Donate. If you can make a monthly commitment, that helps us even more!
- Run or walk in this year's re-imagined Turkey Trot.
- Sponsor a Food Elf.
- Create a fundraising page.
- Become a Food Pantry Ambassador.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Share our newsletter.
- Continue to educate yourself about food insecurity.
Everyone can make a difference. Thank you for all that you have done for the Pantry. From our hearts to yours, we wish you a very safe and happy Thanksgiving. As always, if you have any questions, concerns, or would simply like to talk (or zoom!), my door is always open!
This is the entry memo to the email update shared recently, for the full contents, please visit http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1114432653691&ca=ddfce886-234f-4e1c-b79e-74e5acdf068d