- Public safety up for review this evening; Police, Fire, Inspection, and Regional Dispatch
- Police still understaffed vs. FBI stats but at larger staff than in recent years. Takes a newbie a year to get trained and on the street. One reason transfers are preferred if available
- Fire awaiting grant status possible award in Jun/Jul. If awarded, those individuals would be in addition to staff. Only hire paramedic qualified individuals.
- MECC expanding by two more communities (Millis, Mendon) with room for one more (maybe after that).
As with most meetings in this pandemic period, I took my notes via Twitter during the meeting reporting in real-time via the virtual session.
The Twitter hashtag can be found online #fincom0428
Photos captured during the meeting and shared via Twitter can be found in one album https://photos.app.goo.gl/6sggWUkqV9YYLy578
The agenda for this meeting can be found
- Part 2 of the 4 part Budget Hearing by the Finance Committee about to begin at 6:30 PM. Connection info and agenda doc -> https://www.franklinma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif6896/f/agendas/_2021-04-28_finance_committee_agenda_.pdf #fincom0428
- Full budget doc to follow along on Police budget -> https://www.franklinma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif6896/f/uploads/budget_book_ta_level_fy22_with_page_numbers_v3.pdf #fincom0428
- P 52 and following covers the Police budget currently at 53 FTE would like to get more to be aligned with similar Community size #fincom0427 1 sargent aligned with 15 patrol personnel; span of control and additional administration would be desirable. Facing retirements
- Possible 2 this year, 4 in mid 2022, senior patrol person always badge #1; incentive to get 9 months notice of retirement, to avoid gap of hiring, training and actually getting to the streets to work #fincom0428 Q on jail diversion program covered by grant joint with Medway
- FBI stats say 1.9 patrol per 1000/population, would run out to about 70. Don't need to be that high just that 53 is light and with increase in population and buildings, the call volume is going up. #fincom0427 It takes a person about a year to get training to hit the streets
- The training and salary package has been an incentive to get transfers in which allows them to get to the streets quicker #fincom0428 chief advocated for parity in the salary package and it has worked well. Cost of body cameras and particularly the storage of the video
- He would prefer to have the body first, also with police reform there are 16 Committees looking at this so why start something now and have to change it out later. #fincom0428 we are not in civil service and happy not to be, able to recruit without it.
- #fincom0428 we are an attractive Community to work for, recent hires are good examples of what we can do. A job posting generates more applications than needed to fulfill a spot. A test is done every 3 years. I love self sponsors. That shows initiative for a job.
- Self sponsors wait for seats, dept sponsors get priority. #fincom0428
- Now onto the Fire Dept, refer to pages 57-61. Ambulance billing rates now looked at annually, grant group being very productive. 180 days notice and 90 days actual date notice req'd for retirement
- Refresh the listing of hierarchy every two years, training and reorganization attractive to new hires. We do hire paramedics and prefer to not drop to EMT level #fincom0428 results of SAFER grant due around Jun/Jul. Likely would be additional staff, would have some time
- To start building a budget to support the hires after the grant ran out. The sun, moon and stars may align on this. #fincom0428 looking to stock the 3rd ambulance to be ready if needed. We are ready to go back for a look at ISO 1, not so much a staffing thing, equipment key
- All fee revenue goes into the general fund except for that supporting the enterprise funds #fincom0428 applied again for grant, setting aside approx $600k in case grant doesn't renew. Assume it does, the these funds go to the MECC stabilization fund. There is still room for 1
- Community to add to the regional dispatch, Millville and
MedwayMendon coming on as planned this summer Moving to inspection, pages 64-65 #fincom0428
- Moving to animal control, a regional agreement with Bellingham, we provide space, they run the program without complaints
- Motion to adjourn, seconded, passes 9-0
- Back again Thursday for DPW and stormwater among other items! #fincom0428
|Recap - FinComm Budget Hearing #2 - 04/28/21 - Public safety|