- The major portion of the meeting was spent on special education and student services in support of the 17% of the district students needing such services. Always a cost factor for the budget, the costs are rising but the number of students receiving such services is holding steady.
- Great background info for this new Committee (and for the public) on how services are provided, how the in district programs help to reduce costs. Specific details on exactly how much were not available at this session but will be for the up coming budget cycle.
- The update on the COVID-19 pandemic and the struggle it is continuing to provide the schools and their operations was staggering.
- The capital budget was approved and it now moves forward to a discussion with Finance Committee before going to the Town Council for approval.
- The budget adjustment to the current year budget was approved.
- FHS Unified basketball team trip to US Special Olympics was approved. This is the first MA team to represent the state at this event. No cost to district, supporters group prepared to cover any incidental expenses for the individuals if needed.
- Entered Executive Session to address three items and (fortunately) while the agenda posted initially said they would return to open session, they did announce they wouldn't.
Note this Threadreader service makes it easier to share the Tweets including the photos within the 'stream.' For meetings where the thread has less photos, I'll copy the text but where there are photos, this is so much easier to keep it all together.
|Recap: School Committee hears about (1) special education program, (2) daily challenges of pandemic, and approves trip to US Special Olympics|