- Donna Grady, FPS teacher and FEA president spoke about reframing the discussion on kids missing out. They are not, they are all in the same boat. (I would add: health is more important than education - without good health, you can't learn. And it would be good to recognize that this pandemic is a time to think about our overall learning processes. How do we learn? How can we learn? The specific topics and curriculum items mean less than the developing the capability to learn.)
- excellent presentations from ECDC and the Performing Arts dept showcasing the work and learning being done in trying circumstances. (See how we can learn when we put our minds together to do so)
- First draft of school calendar for 2020-2021 shared
- Superintendent's goals were approved. The sharing pre-meeting had caused some kerfuffle among community members who misinterpreted what they were lacking the full context. (A solution to this would be a 'cover note/memo' to better frame the doc when shared pre-meeting next time. Not sharing the doc before hand is not an acceptable solution. Although it is an 'easy way' out, it does nothing to build the trusting relationship with the community that is very much a work in progress)
- Re-opening status - lengthy discussion with SchComm Q&A and only a few community comments this time around. Plan to bring K-1 back in person still being developed. Finally a question on ESP's use as subs and what happens to that learning time? (it doesn't always get made up - and this has been gong on for some time, well before the pandemic) Staffing in the pandemic continues to be working a tightrope. If the numbers change (in the wrong direction) expect more remote learning days.
Photos captured during the meeting broadcast and shared via Twitter can be found in one album https://photos.app.goo.gl/e1BAktE3feox7Ak48
As with most meetings in this pandemic period, I took my notes via Twitter during the meeting reporting in real-time via the virtual session.
The Twitter hashtag can be found online #schcom1222
The Twitter hashtag can be found online #schcom1222
- Getting ready for the School Committee meeting tonight, agenda doc is here: https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/events/scagenda_12-22-20.pdf #schcom1222
- Meeting starts on time and the recording allows me to catch the gavel this time ( yeah!) #schcom1222 one in route to meeting (D'Angelo) other six present remotely or in person for this hybrid session
- #schcom1222 participation over 100 at this point with a good # of teachers showing up via the names
- Donna Grady, FPA teacher and FEA president speaking in citizen comments in regards to comments from prior meeting, should not be pitted teacher vs family
- Need to reframe the comment on kids missing out, they are all in the same situation, they are not missing anything. This is not normal, if we push kids to school, they won't be interacting, they'll be sitting in desks separated, we all want folks to be safe #schcom1222
- #schcom1222 we are in this together, please help us do this, we (teachers and staff) can't do this alone. We are not there yet and the situation is causing trauma, if academic progress is goal, we need to meet the basic safety goals first, staff and students are showing symptoms
- Of trauma. Kids are told they are safe when they know other students are home in quarantine. Teachers are going above and beyond. They are frustrated about not doing their best, this will take months to repair. #schcom1222 please put mental health of our staff first
- FHS representative says students understand everyone is doing their best. In person attendance dropping, many be multiple reasons for that. In a reselect process the numbers may change #schcom1222
- Superintendent report: update from DESE around student mental health and connection, instructional time daily to connect with teachers 34 hours over a ten day period, 40 hours over 10 4 asynchronous. Looking for consistency district 2 district. Did complete a survey #schcom1222
- FPS meeting requirements. CARES funding deadline extended to Dec 2021, which will help to fulfill due to supply chain issues. #schcom1222
- Not universal on snow day for last Thursday. Compliments to teachers etc for doing fun stuff last Thursday.
- This is Beth Simon's last night supporting the SchComm by doing notes. #schcom1222 not sure what funding does to the other building schedules for HVAC changes, purifiers are in or being deployed. Miss snow days but will be happy in June.
- Guest presentations: ECDC up to share updates to talking to the doc https://franklinps.net/district/school-committee/files/ecdc-update… #schcom1222 timely slide picks up points being made in comments
- #schcom1222 taking time to build relationships, yes it may not be 6' but the little ones don't understand. Pics of staff with and without masks available. BTW participation up to 135+ in Zoom, 12 more viewing live stream, some #? also via the 2 cable channels
- #schcom1222 went on a leaf hunt, and integrated leaves into various lessons there is an explanation and story for each photo on the slide. Need to set students up for success.#schcom1222 monthly newsletter went out today, folks overwhelmed, how can she best reach folks in a manner that resonates. (Video link in presentation doc)
- #schcom1222 taking registration for next school year, hopefully it will be fully in person. Helpful info on the sheet here remote learning bags coming via COVID-19 funding.
- #schcom1222 positive comments from the SchComm members on update from ECDC. This shows the amount of work and level of commitment to do this in person. Enjoy the time off.
- Next up, performing arts update from Diane Plouffe kudos to staff and students for rolling through this craziness. Rehearsal in the fall outdoor for middle school band #schcom1222
- https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/franklin_performing_arts_department_presentation_2020.pdf presentation doc being shared and talked to for this update #schcom1222 the team!
- New standards are a challenge with COVID restrictions #schcom1222 singing indoors currently not permitted
- Can you imagine elementary music without singing or sharing instruments? They are finding a way #schcom1222 a virtual chorus rehearsal on Wednesdays. No beginner lessons as lifelong learning is not operating; over 500 students signed up
- Sad looking rehearsal space, when used by students, everything is wiped down before students leave, wipes on music stands. #schcom1222
- Exploring bringing band back in, working on details for approval through the channels. Sample horn mask, bell cover in plain black, to out logo on would be too much #schcom1222 ventilation being updated over the winter break.
- Brief video clip shared of music performance with teacher performing with some students in room, some remote #schcom1222
- The "brady bunch" video is not easy to do, each 3 minute piece takes about 24 hours of prep. #schcom1222
- 60 students in middle school orchestra over 100 at FHS, expand the timing in the prior tweet by these #s to see total work required #schcom1222
- Drama club performed Clue on stage using same precautions as athletes did before rehearsal.
- Video of 3 cohorts and then mixed with the students remote #schcom1222
- 8 students going to all state competition
- https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/franklin_performing_arts_department_presentation_2020.pdf resharing the presentation on performing arts, lots of the links are live music performances and worth checking out #schcom1222
- Very positive comments from SchComm #schcom1222
- Moving along to superintendent goals, after subcommittee worked on them. Did get feedback on goals, from the posting pre-meeting. There is not enough of a focus on anti-racism, it is in the district improvement plan but in …
- The broader context while not in the 2 shared it is embedded elsewhere and driving the work on this. Wants to be careful in sharing this. #schcom1222 there is a need to do more Communication, centrally and new mediums to explore. Collaboration folded in
- Looking to expand Communication channels to share with the Community, i.e. blog. (Has been 'coming soon' since just after arrival) #schcom1222 https://www.franklinps.net/district/superintendent
- Goal doc linked to https://franklinps.net/district/school-committee/files/disc-action-supt-goals-20-21… #schcom1222 sets a foundation for future development motion and second, passes via roll call 6-0-1 (6 for, 0 no, 1 absent)
- First draft of calendar https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/calendar_2021-22_draft.pdf assuming more normal in person, Juneteenth observed on Monday. Snow days will return next year, per DESE no credit for remote #schcom1222
- Also for discussion the re-opening report https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/reopening_schools_status_update_dec_18_2020-2021.pdf #schcom1222 some of the 'red' status is due to timing, only .03 over the red line last week #schcom1222 priority standards for learning and essential content
- Did close survey on the K-1 families and staff, need to process the data, 360 responses from families, so good return rate. #schcom1222 some districts going remote post holiday, we are not yet planning to do so. In person/hybrid is valuable.
- #schcom1222 looking at process of taking in reports and do contact tracing (will be complicated) will require administrator follow up, likely not as responsive; hence to have the first day as a remote learning day to allow for processing the reports from the break
- Looking at Wednesday at FHS to provide some relief with common planning time, looking to add 2 asynchronous periods for planning, could also address student stress re: screen time. Seeing increase in absences, and coverage challenges. #schcom1222
- #schcom1222 guidance has changed in the last week or so, DESE is now more aligned with the CDC and Dept of Public Health: adjusting the Communications accordingly. Flu vaccine date postponed until Feb, already 80% of students have reported compliance. Notice coming out
- Looking to do a baseline survey in Jan for all staff, using other sources of info to obtain feedback. #schcom1222 K-1 summary should be available by next meeting, did put out a call for activity monitors and subs, be vigilant during break so we can be safe when we return
- Q on sub rates and sub coverage options. Miriam provided the rates overview. Sara answered the what if questions and it depends (really it does) Elise remarks on the coverage puzzle is monumental. Not sustainable #schcom1222
- #schcom1222 some districts have K-1 in school, most are hybrid, split between fully remote vs fully in person. Development of 2 artifacts to help support teachers and families for K-1 students. Sub availability due to timing of finger prints, cori checks
- Using ESPs as subs does affect time delivering services (this happened pre-COVID-19 and the time of delivery is not easily made up if ever). #schcom1222
- Should consider more than one day for remote coming back may not be enough time to fully access the data
- Extremely frustrating to get the COVID letters daily, students are staying home to go elsewhere over the break, but we can't. Timing on the cohort letters and knowing when the reports were noted. #schcom1222
- Moving to info matters
- Need to set up budget meetings #schcom1222 good showing at FinCom reported (really, not by my notes. SchCom/Central Office left info unshared when they had an opportunity to do so). People come here because of the schools, and being fiscally responsible.
- Community relations, trying to get date for meeting; date being worked for legislative forum. Policy met on 12/17 with plans for moving; facilities update lengthy errors in presentation were after analysis and did not effect results. Population trends similar #schcom1222
- #schcom1222 additional data coming mid January and get ready to summarize for SchCom date TBD
- Joint PCC rescheduled for January. Wellness exploring hydroponic expansion beyond FHS. Working on another challenge next meeting Jan 12
- Safe Coalition update to SWAC presented earlier today, adapting and evolving to conditions. #schcom1222
- Student opportunity Act plan coming up for vote. FHS update, personnel update, and Oak St elementary will be a highlight.
- Consent agenda motion to accept, second, passes 6-0-1 (6 for, 0 no, 1 absent) via roll call (D'Angelo absent) #schcom1222
- Motion to enter executive session, not to return to open meeting, second, approved 6-0-1 (see before in thread) via roll call
- #schcom1222 that's all for tonight (and I think for meetings in 2020!) Catch you all later
|Franklin (MA) School Committee meeting recap - Dec 22. 2020|
Post a Comment