This session of the radio show shares my conversation with Kristin Letendre, Health and PE Director for the Franklin Public School district as well as a teacher at FHS. We had our conversation via conference bridge to adhere to the ‘social distancing’ requirements of this pandemic period.
We talk about her work on the School Wellness Advisory Council (SWAC), on the Social Emotional Learning Committee, and importantly about keeping learning alive with her approach to mindfulness and a daily practice shared via Twitter.
This recording runs about 20 minutes, so listen to my conversation with Kristin and hear how a mindful approach can really provide help for us to be present during these challenging days. https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/HZB9N9D7
The Twitter account for FPS Health PE = https://twitter.com/FPSHealthPE
The Social Emotional Learning Committee has created this SEL page with resources and a monthly focus https://sites.google.com/franklinps.net/sel/home
Kristin is an adjunct professor at Bridgewater State
Resources shared by Kristin as mentioned during our conversation:
- Calm.com - Website including daily calms, body scans, and other mindful practices
- Headspace - App for incorporating mindfulness into your daily life
- Breathe - App designed to help people stop, breathe, think
- Insight Timer - App for sleep, anxiety and stress
- Stop Stress in its Tracks - American Heart Association
- Loving Kindness Meditation - American Heart Association
- Mindfulness Based Art Activities and Resources for Children and Parents
Mindfulness Book Recommendations
- Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration by Meera Lee Patel
- Made Out of Stars: A Journal for Self-Realization by Meera Lee Patel
- The Little Book of Mindfulness by Dr. Patrizia Collard
- Mindfulness for Teens in 10 Minutes a Day by Jennie Marie Battistin
- Present, Not Perfect: A Journal for Slowing Down, Letting Go, and Loving Who You Are by Aimee Chase
- Practicing Mindfulness: 75 Essential Meditations to Reduce Stress, Improve Mental Health, and Find Peace in Everyday by Matthew Sockolov
- Choose The Life You Want: The Mindful Way to Happiness by Tal Ben-Shahar, PHD
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm).
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"
|FM #238 Kristin Letendre - Mindfulness in a pandemic 4/03/20 (audio)|